Thursday, March 19, 2015

Gameplan

Greetings!

As I briefly mentioned in my inroduction, I plan on creating some garments of my own to get a look at the clothing construction and design process. Here I will outline my plans for each of the garments I intend on making. First, I want to mention that for this project, I am more concerned with the designing of the textiles and pattern creation than I am with the designing of the garments and the clothing construction. The reason for this is that I am completely unfamiliar with patternmaking and textiles, and because of my internship with Nikki (who has experience in these types of things), I want to expand my knowledge on these subjects as much as possible.

As for the graments, one piece that I plan on making is a basic "skater skirt" using the fabric that I will have printed with my photograph. The patterning process can be pretty difficult, so this may take up some time. As for another piece, I want to make a "hobo bag" using fabric that I will color with a marbling kit. Marbling is a technique used on many mediums for many different purposes; it can be used on paper and fabric and is often seen on wallpaper designs. It's also possible to create images or patterns with this technique. Below are a few images of marbling (courtesy of Google Images).

As for the last garment, I plan on making a simple scarf and batiking it to make its pattern/print. Batiking is hard to describe, but it's a process where cracks and spots can be created on an art piece. I've only seen it on paintings and didn't even know it could be done on fabric, so I'm excited to get to try this. For this technique, hot wax is used on the surface and then painted or dyed over. The wax is then taken off the surface, showing the patterns created and displaying the the cracks that can be seen. I am a tad concerned with doing this process since it can sometimes get complicated with the colors, so I am working on a backup plan in case this doesnt work out. Below are some examples of batik (again, courtesy of Google Images. I'm sure I can get some pictures of Nikki's paintings soon to give some better examples).
Larissa :)

2 comments:

  1. These looks so pretty Larissa! :) Are there certain artists who stand out as batiking pros?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure actually. As I learn more about it, it turns out that batik is actually more commonly done on fabric to create patterns than it is on paintings or other objects. Who knew!

      Delete